Brief History of Coloma
The Very Reverend Canon Van Crombrugghe, one of the greatest Belgian educationalists of his time, founded the Congregation of the Daughters of Mary and Joseph in Belgium in 1817. A bronze bust of Van Crombugghe can be found in the school's Main Hall. In 1867, at the celebrations commemorating the Golden Jubilee of the foundation of the Congregation, it was announced that a convent was to be opened in England. On 17th June 1869 three nuns arrived to take up residence in a small house, Poplar Villa in Wellesley Road, Croydon.
On 2nd August 1869, the school opened with one pupil. Two years later, a larger property was found in Tavistock Road and named Coloma.
The name owes its origins to the Spanish Count of Santa Coloma, former owner of the Daughters of Mary and Joseph's property in Malines in Belgium, which is named after his estate in Spain.
Through the late 19th, 20th and the early years of the 21st century the school has experienced many changes, in step with developments in the education of girls and young women.
In July 1965, Coloma moved from Tavistock Road to the site in Shirley, and in 1978 became a Voluntary Aided Roman Catholic Comprehensive School for Girls from 11-18 years of age. In April 1994, Coloma gained Grant Maintained Status. Following Government reforms Coloma once again became a Voluntary Aided Catholic Comprehensive Girls' School on 1st September 1999. In September 2000, Coloma changed from four forms to five-form entry and opened a new Sixth Form Centre. There are now 1,065 girls on roll, with over 300 in the Sixth Form.
Headteachers through the Ages
| Madame Helene
| Sister Ediltrude
| Mother Winefride, M.A
| Mother Marie Winefride, M.A
| Sister Mary Cuthbert
| Sister Mary Gabriel
| Miss M Dolan
| Sister Sheila (Acting Head)
| Mrs Maureen Martin
Celebrating 140 Years of our History
In 2009, Coloma celebrated 140 years since the school was opened with one pupil in 1869 by three Sisters of the Congregation of the Daughters of Mary & Joseph. The anniversary was launched with the cutting of a special anniversary cake by the youngest Coloma student and oldest known local 'old girl', Kathleen Des Moulins. This was followed by many events including Mass at Westminster Cathedral where more than 700 guests made up of parents, old girls, ex staff and other friends of the school joined with the existing pupils to celebrate and give thanks, and a superb concert, reunion and celebration of Coloma pupils current work held at the Royal Festival Hall, London in March 2010.
Pictures of all our Anniversary celebrations can be found on the Calendars and Galleries Pop Out menu on our Homepage
Coloma Memories Book
To mark the 140th Anniversary a superb book has been published, the Book of Memories. This 178 page book has been a real labour of love for former pupil Mrs. Sheila Glasswell. The book collects together memories about Coloma over its one hundred and forty year history and includes some fantastic old photographs of pupils and teachers both at the current site and also when Coloma was located in Tavistock Road. Copies of the book are available from the school priced at £8 with an additional voluntary donation of £2 towards Coloma Uganda.
To get your copy of the book simply download the purchase form from the pop out menu on this page, complete and send with your remittance directly to the School.